It’s become a sweet, sentimental time to realize this is the last holiday season I will spend in my childhood home. I am so very excited to establish new traditions with Dillon next Christmas and am gathering inspiration from my family this year. We moved into our current home right before Christmas when I was eight and there has always been something very special about this time. After sharing some of our Thanksgiving traditions two weeks ago, I’m sharing some of our long-standing Christmas traditions with y’all today!
To this day, every year:
– we pick an evening to decorate the tree as a family while sipping eggnog and listening to carols
– we watch Christmas movies + specials as they air on TV, with our favorites including Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Charlie Brown, Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph
– my mom buys us a themed ornament to coincide with our life events from that year. Some of my favorites commemorate getting my license, graduating from high school, and getting engaged.
– we attend service together on Christmas Eve and then go out for dinner afterward (except this year – our church is having service on the 23rd and 25th instead).
– after dinner we on Christmas Eve we drive around the neighborhood on to look at the light displays.
– my mom and I watch Christmas specials on Food Network and behind-the-scenes of decorating Disney World
When I was younger, we had a few extra traditions too:
– my brother and I took turns moving the coordinating piece of our fabric advent calendar each day.
– my mom would buy chocolate advent calendars for us each year to enjoy each day leading up to Christmas.
– we would leave milk, cookies, and a note for Santa (and carrots and water for the reindeer of course!)
What have been some Christmas traditions you’ve enjoyed in your childhood home?