Welcome, dear friend! Here you will find an inside look into my life as a business owner and newlywed, helpful advice from years of studying wedding publications, and snippets of all things delightful as they delight my virtual travels. I'm so glad you're here!
It’s become a sweet, sentimental time to realize this is the last holiday season I will spend in my childhood home. I am so very excited to establish new traditions with Dillon next Christmas and am gathering inspiration from my family this year. We moved into our current home right before Christmas when I was eight and there has always been something very special about this time. After sharing some of our Thanksgiving traditions two weeks ago, I’m sharing some of our long-standing Christmas traditions with y’all today!
To this day, every year:
– we pick an evening to decorate the tree as a family while sipping eggnog and listening to carols
– we watch Christmas movies + specials as they air on TV, with our favorites including Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Charlie Brown, Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph
– my mom buys us a themed ornament to coincide with our life events from that year. Some of my favorites commemorate getting my license, graduating from high school, and getting engaged.
– we attend service together on Christmas Eve and then go out for dinner afterward (except this year – our church is having service on the 23rd and 25th instead).
– after dinner we on Christmas Eve we drive around the neighborhood on to look at the light displays.
– my mom and I watch Christmas specials on Food Network and behind-the-scenes of decorating Disney World
When I was younger, we had a few extra traditions too:
– my brother and I took turns moving the coordinating piece of our fabric advent calendar each day.
– my mom would buy chocolate advent calendars for us each year to enjoy each day leading up to Christmas.
– we would leave milk, cookies, and a note for Santa (and carrots and water for the reindeer of course!)
What have been some Christmas traditions you’ve enjoyed in your childhood home?