Welcome, dear friend! Here you will find an inside look into my life as a business owner and newlywed, helpful advice from years of studying wedding publications, and snippets of all things delightful as they delight my virtual travels. I'm so glad you're here!

pour yourself a cup of coffee and

stay a while!

daily life

Celebration + Holiday

December 6, 2016

Christmas in My Childhood Home

It’s become a sweet, sentimental time to realize this is the last holiday season I will spend in my childhood home. I am so very excited to establish new traditions with Dillon next Christmas and am gathering inspiration from my family this year. We moved into our current home right before Christmas when I was eight and there has always been something very special about this time. After sharing some of our Thanksgiving traditions two weeks ago, I’m sharing some of our long-standing Christmas traditions with y’all today!

To this day, every year:

– we pick an evening to decorate the tree as a family while sipping eggnog and listening to carols
– we watch Christmas movies + specials as they air on TV, with our favorites including Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Charlie Brown, Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph
– my mom buys us a themed ornament toย coincide with our life events from that year. Some of my favorites commemorate getting my license, graduating from high school, and getting engaged.
– we attend service together on Christmas Eve and then go out for dinner afterward (except this year – our church is having service on the 23rd and 25th instead).
– after dinner we on Christmas Eve we drive around the neighborhood on to look at the light displays.
– my mom and I watch Christmas specials on Food Network and behind-the-scenes of decorating Disney World

When I was younger, we had a few extra traditions too:

– my brother and I took turns moving the coordinating piece of our fabric advent calendar each day.
– my mom would buy chocolate advent calendars for us each year to enjoy each day leading up to Christmas.
– we would leave milk, cookies, and a note for Santa (and carrots and water for the reindeer of course!)

What have been some Christmas traditions you’ve enjoyed in your childhood home?

photo linkupgraphic_zpsb5zwlsoa.jpg

Kindly Leave a Reply

1. Victoria Strader

December 6th, 2016 at 7:35 am

I’m already excited for you and NEXT Christmas. There are lots of new traditions ahead! XO

2. Kyla Fetzner

December 7th, 2016 at 8:53 am

Thank you Victoria! It is going to be such a sweet time to start traditions in our home! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Rebecca

December 6th, 2016 at 8:27 am

My mom always got me a ornament too, it was nice to have a pretty collection to have when I moved into my house and had my own tree. It must be a mom thing! It must be very bittersweet to have your last holiday in your childhood home, but also nice to be able to carry those traditions with you for next year and all holidays to come!

4. Kyla Fetzner

December 7th, 2016 at 8:54 am

It most definitely is! And yes, I am excited to take those ornaments with me next year and put them on the tree in my own home. It’s such a sentimental tradition and I’m thankful to my mom for it ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Sarah Shaneyfelt

December 6th, 2016 at 9:56 am

My mom used to take my sister and I to pick out our own Hallmark ornament each year for the tree! Victoria is right, you’ll have lots of new traditions next year and it is such a sweet time!

6. Kyla Fetzner

December 7th, 2016 at 8:55 am

I’m going to savor every bit of it! Sharing an engaged Christmas has been really sweet too ๐Ÿ™‚

7. sarita @ it's my girls' world

December 6th, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I want to start that tradition of an ornament about what my kids are into also!!! Love it.

8. Kyla Fetzner

December 7th, 2016 at 8:55 am

It’s the best! It’s a simple way to ensure that memories are preserved and revisited year after year ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Amanda

December 6th, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Sweet traditions and memories! Ours were very similar. Enjoy this last Christmas of your practiced norm! Next year will be very special as you start new! xo

10. Kyla Fetzner

December 7th, 2016 at 8:56 am

Thank you Amanda! I’m excited to savor both ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Hannah Hardy

December 7th, 2016 at 11:33 pm

I love that your mom bought you coinciding ornaments for life events, Such a fun idea! It also sounds fun to watch the behind the scenes Disney decorating. ๐Ÿ™‚ I would love to see that!

12. Kyla Fetzner

December 12th, 2016 at 10:01 am

It’s amazing how much preparation is put into making the Disney parks ready for Christmas!